Major Changes to Magazine Cover


After receiving some audience feedback from my peers and feeling unsure about the magazine cover myself, I decided that I would still keep a lot of my initial ideas but start to construct the magazine again. The main audience feedback I received was in regard to my choice of main image and some of the colours, and from this I decided to experiment with different images and use a more simple, conventional colour scheme of solely red, black and white.



For my initial draft of my second attempt, I kept my idea of the film strip along the bottom with some upcoming releases in the genre, as I thought this was really effective when seen on other film magazine covers and from the audience feedback I received, I felt that they thought this was the most effective part of my first cover attempt. I kept the same 'Empire' masthead and increased the size slightly, and this time placed the barcode landscape just beneath it to increase the amount of space that could be used down the right hand side. I included the same 'Delilah' title but again increased the size of this so it was more of a main focus of the cover. The biggest initial change I have made is the main image itself, as I chose a different image completely, and changed it to black and white as well as adding a red tint to our character's eyes. This allows the image to appear a lot more sinister and fit more with the conventional features of a typical horror villain.



Next, I firstly added some dark red blood splatters to the background of the image, but reduced the opacity in order to make them more subtle and not detract the focus from the main image itself. I also added some more basic conventional elements of the magazine cover such as the web address, the date and price, and the strapline of 'The world's biggest movie magazine', which is partly covered by the image as can often be seen on other 'Empire' covers. Above the masthead, I used my previous idea of the '30 page horror special' but in a different layout, using a clear and bold sans serif font in order for this to be easier to read. Lastly, above the film strip, I created a 'Plus' text, which will act as a buzz word, as well as looking more professional than my first cover attempt in the way that it is presented.
For the final stage of my magazine cover construction, my most important task was to add the cover lines and finishing touches. As shown above, for my cover lines I used the same ideas from my initial cover attempt but chose to present them in a different, more professional way. However, for this cover I chose to remove my previous headline of 'This Year's Most Thrilling Release' and instead include a smaller subtitle that says 'World Exclusive' as I felt this allowed the reader to focus a lot more on the film title, and the cover itself looked a lot less crowded so it would be easier for a reader to focus on the individual components in more detail.