Magazine Cover Update 1



As I am responsible for the ancillary task of creating the magazine cover, before making a start I thought it would be beneficial to watch a tutorial (shown above) on the basics of my chosen software. I have chosen to use paint.net, as it was recommended to me by my peers who have either used it last year for their main production or who are currently using it in their A2 year. In addition, the software was easy to access and free to download. I began by inserting the 'Empire' masthead and my chosen photo from our photo shoot, to start the magazine construction:


As shown above, I started with more of a dark blue background as I thought a plain black background might have contrasted too much with the photo itself. At first, before I added in any of the other elements of the magazine cover, using a black background did look slightly too stark, but as I began to add other aspects onto the cover, I realised I preferred the use of a black background rather than the dark blue. I added the headline 'THIS YEAR'S MOST THRILLING RELEASE' in the font 'Copperplate Gothic Bold' which I adopted from Microsoft Word as I felt it was effective due to the sharp edges that surround the letters. I then also added our title font in red, which is called 'Crucifixion' from dafont.com, but I struggled with the positioning and background of this, so I am currently working on removing the background of it and softening the edges:


I then proceeded to add some text/a strap-line above the masthead of 'HUGE WINTER PREVIEW INSIDE!' in order to immediately draw readers towards the cover, and for this I used the same font as the headline in order to demonstrate consistency within the ancillary. I then added a bar-code down the right hand side of our main image, in order to follow the conventions of a typical magazine cover:


Next, I added a 'film reel/strip' panel along the bottom of the magazine, as I had seen this effect on many other 'Empire' magazine covers and I thought it was an innovative way of incorporating my secondary images into the magazine cover. I added images from four recent or upcoming films (Split, Don't Knock Twice, Friday the 13th and Saw Legacy) that all fit into the horror genre or its surrounding sub-genres, in order to further connote the genre of our own film even more. Also, with the help of my group member Charlie, the black box surrounding the 'Delilah' title was successfully removed, and this made the entire cover look more professional overall:


The next thing I did was add the captions to the secondary images using a red text box to keep up with the conventional colour scheme and I used the font 'Aharoni' in white as it made the text look very clear and bold even though it is on the smaller side. I also enlarged the word 'PLUS' in the bottom left hand corner and changed the colour of the text box surrounding it to a brighter blue: