My Influential Horror Figures



I have several influential figures that affect the ideas I put forward, due to my favouring of certain actors and directors. I will look to explore my most inspirational actor and director as of now, whilst analysing some of their work, and the reasons behind their success.

Andrew Lincoln

Andrew Lincoln is a world famous actor, starring in several popular films and TV shows over the years, including Love Actually and Teachers, as well as taking on the lead role of the worldwide phenomenon known as The Walking Dead. I first saw Andrew Lincoln on The Walking Dead, and his impressive acting performances really engaged me with the show, and from that I chose to watch more films and TV shows which are categorised in the horror genre. Because of the Walking Dead I am now a huge horror fan, and have developed a significant interest in Scream (a Netflix teen horror series inspired by the film 'Scream', directed by Wes Craven, as well as Dead Set (2008), Z-Nation, and Fear The Walking Dead, along with many others. It's fair to say that Andrew Lincoln, indirectly, has heavily influenced the TV shows I now enjoy watching. Lincoln has managed to win 5 awards as of June 2016. These include a satellite award for 'best cast' in 2012, a people's choice award for 'favourite TV anti-hero' in 2014, and a Saturn award in 2015 for 'best actor on television'. These achievements emphasise just how successful Andrew Lincoln's achievements are, and his outstanding performance as Rick Grimes on 'The Walking Dead' has helped to revolutionise horror on television, through his passionate acting, which is exceptionally believable.


George Romero

My second influential figure is the famous horror director, George Romero. He is known for creating the sub-genre in horror focusing on the undead. Romero directed Dawn of the Dead (1978). He also made a cameo appearance in Call of Duty Black Ops, as the creators of the game wanted him to represent the 'zombie' side-game. This would attract customers who admire his work, and the minigame turned out to be a huge success, drawing in millions of extra sales.

 
George Romero's most famous film he directed was Dawn of the Dead. A remastered version of this film was also released in 2004, sparking surprisingly high ratings from critics. The same year, a spin-off version was made named "Shaun of the Dead". This is one of my favourite films of all time, and without Romero, it wouldn't exist. I've always been a fan of the undead genre, therefore I have to look to Romero for inspiration. Many people couldn't imagine the horror genre without Romero's work, and several films, TV shows and games, are all directly inspired from his films.